Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 117

Thread: So I'm watching this town hall...

  1. #21
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So I'm watching this town hall...

    No one is arguing the legalities of it, just that it getting to be ridiculous. If they don't want to conduct them self in a mature, rational manner...then gtfo. If you're a Harvard Professor, you'd probably get arrested

    Its coming from every end. You've got these lobbying groups/people, you got Falwells Liberty group, you got just plain idiots and you've got politicians...just an example....



    "The Democrats promise that a government health care system will reduce the cost of health care, but as the economist Thomas Sowell has pointed out, government health care will not reduce the cost; it will simply refuse to pay the cost. And who will suffer the most when they ration care? The sick, the elderly, and the disabled, of course. The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama?s ?death panel? so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their ?level of productivity in society,? whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil."



    Don't need to mention names, that sympathy line in there is a dead giveaway to who said it, if you haven't heard already. The blatant lies in this debate get dumber by the second....There's the "Death Panel", the funding for abortion, the 50,000 for sex-change operations and on and on. Wtf is wrong with people? If you oppose, oppose...but to make the stupidest claims you can think of? And there are some that actually believe it, that's what is sad about it.


    You may not like him, but Olbermann pretty much owned Palin, Beck, Heather Blish(small town mom) and groups like these last night with the "Special Comment".

    Countdown with Keith OlbermannCountdown with Keith Olbermann

  2. #22
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So I'm watching this town hall...

    The righteous indignation from Brad and Jr. is amusing.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  3. #23
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So I'm watching this town hall...

    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    but to make the stupidest claims you can think of? And there are some that actually believe it, that's what is sad about it.
    Kind of like 'Bush lied, people died' or 'Bush was responsible for 9/11'?
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  4. #24
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So I'm watching this town hall...

    Hit the forum with some knowledge then Lynn.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So I'm watching this town hall...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gotch View Post
    One more thing about "free speech". I've read opinions of the various restrictions on free speech and if I'm not mistaken this type of thing has been specifically addressed and as I remember it a speaker has no particular "right" to be heard. In other words, yes, you can legally shout a speaker down.
    Sometimes what is legally right isn't what is right by the token of common human decency & sense--which is what I think a lot of these organized protestors are lacking.

    I mean, if we all met at the BSG Armory, rented it out for a public meeting to discuss anything...and we began to discuss the subject and someone came in and started shouting all of us down for nothing other than pure spite, and to disrupt the meeting so we couldn't discuss what we wanted in peace...that person may be in their rights "legally", but would you think much of that person or what they had to say? Are their actions in the right as far as etiquette goes? Could we take steps to remove that person from our meeting legally?
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  6. #26
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So I'm watching this town hall...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gotch View Post
    One more thing about "free speech". I've read opinions of the various restrictions on free speech and if I'm not mistaken this type of thing has been specifically addressed and as I remember it a speaker has no particular "right" to be heard. In other words, yes, you can legally shout a speaker down.
    ah but there is a catch
    its called disorderly conduct and inciting a riot.

    like i said, go to the next local PTA meeting and yell and shout and act like some of those protesters, and see how long you last before you are removed.

    person A's right to free speech only extends to the next person's right.

    so if person A is yelling and purposely trying to disrupt person B's peaceful demonstration, then his free speech is pinching the other person's right to peaceful organization.

  7. #27
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So I'm watching this town hall...

    but political sabotage like this isnt new

    im not gonna go and look up how far back it goes, but i know it at least extends to Nixon's candidacy.
    i dont remember the guy's name, but i do know he used to set up sabotages like this.

  8. #28
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So I'm watching this town hall...

    "No one is arguing the legalities of it"

    Actually at least one poster, maybe two were.

    I'm not arguing that it's civil, or that I agree with it, or that it's pretty. Just that it's within their rights and it's an incredibly dangerous thing to start eroding rights.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  9. #29
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So I'm watching this town hall...

    its funny how we are so concered about rights now, but it wasnt that big a deal when the patriot act was enacted.

    i think before we can act like the government is great bout our rights, we have to have the patriot act repealed.

    telling people they cant protest seems like a small issue compared to illegal wire taps and no knock warrants and surveilence without indictments.

  10. #30
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So I'm watching this town hall...

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    ah but there is a catch
    its called disorderly conduct and inciting a riot.

    like i said, go to the next local PTA meeting and yell and shout and act like some of those protesters, and see how long you last before you are removed.

    person A's right to free speech only extends to the next person's right.

    so if person A is yelling and purposely trying to disrupt person B's peaceful demonstration, then his free speech is pinching the other person's right to peaceful organization.
    It certainly does not fall under inciting a riot. It would fall under disorderly conduct under most normal conditions, but the high courts have repeatedly found that if a charge of disorderly conduct infringed upon the right to freedom of speech the law was not applicable.

    I'm not sure about PTA meeting but a few local governments have lost large suits or been forced to settle for damages out of court due to ejecting loud protesters. Happened just recently in Minnesota.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •